Staying Safe on the Road
Last weekend’s arrival of snow should have put two things on everyone’s radar: firstly, that the beginning of winter has indeed arrived and secondly, that if you’ve put off getting your vehicle effectively prepared for the season (including putting your winter tires on) that now is the time.
The following are some great tips to help stay as safe as possible in your vehicle this Winter season:
Make sure that your vehicle is prepared for winter driving.
• Winter tires are a good option, as they will provide greater traction under snowy or icy conditions.
• Keep a snow brush/scraper in your car, along with possible emergency items such as a lightweight shovel, battery jumper cables, and a flashlight.
• Make sure that mirrors, all windows, and the top of your vehicle, are free of snow or frost before getting onto the road.
Drive smoothly and slowly
• Don’t make any abrupt turns or stops when driving. Doing so will often cause your vehicle to lose control and skid.
• Driving too quickly is the main cause of winter collisions. Be sure to drive slowly and carefully on snow and ice covered roads.
Don’t “pump” the brakes.
• If your vehicle is equipped with an anti-lock braking system (ABS), do not “pump” the brakes. Apply constant pressure and let the system do its work.
Learn how to control skids.
• When skidding, you actually need to go against your natural instincts and turn into the skid and accelerate. Doing so transfers your vehicle’s weight from the front to the rear and often helps vehicles to regain control.
• Manoeuvres are more difficult to make in the snow. Be sure to anticipate what your next move is going to be to give yourself lots of room for turns and stopping.
Here at Palladium we want to help you stay safe during this winter (and throughout the year) with the right coverage to effectively meet your needs. Learn more about our auto insurance products, and let us earn your trust.