In every scenario prevention is better than a cure. When it comes to fire safety especially, this couldn’t be more true. October is known for fall weather, Thanksgiving and of course Halloween at the end of the month, but this week in particular is important because it is dedicated toward fire prevention and learning the best ways to stay safe.
When it comes to fire prevention, there are some important considerations to make for both the home and office:
- Install at least one smoke alarm outside each sleeping area. For improved safety, install a smoke alarm in every bedroom.
- Chimneys should be cleaned at least once a year.
- Remove all combustible and flammable materials from the basement and attic.
- Perform regularly scheduled and recorded maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Establish an ‘Emergency Team’ and train each member on how to respond to fire emergencies.
- Keep exits clear of combustibles e.g. discarded paper and empty cartons. (source: fiprecan.ca)
Having a through escape plan that everyone within the household and/or office understands and is able to follow is very important. Read more about fire prevention week and learn more about how our custom personal and commercial insurance products can become a part of your safety plan and offer improved peace of mind. Let us earn your trust.